I’m very excited to join the Bitcasa family as head of products and marketing and want to take the opportunity to introduce myself and share my enthusiasm for being here.
I’ve spent a good part (10+ years) of my professional career immersed in enterprise storage software focused primarily on file systems at VERITAS (almost open-sourced it) and more recently with file system-enabled cloud storage products at Riverbed and Panzura. Interestingly, Bitcasa provides me an opportunity to tackle both again and take it to a next level.
In the pursuit of my next career move, I had the chance to explore many startups in the storage space. After much evaluation, Bitcasa’s vision and direction is what intrigued me the most. Simply put, Bitcasa is doing to cloud storage what network-attached storage (NAS) did to storage area network (SAN) or files did to blocks but with an API twist. Their passion for a high-functioning consumer driven product is what continues to shape the company’s future. By providing a familiar, enhanced and feature-rich file interface on top of a scalable storage, Bitcasa is making it easy for consumers as well as mobile/web developers to build and deploy their applications. You will hear a lot more about it soon – look out for our announcement next week at Techcrunch Disrupt NY.
The Bitcasa Platform is battle proven and tested with more than 40 petabytes (PB) stored and accessed by millions of client devices. Originally built for the personal storage market, Bitcasa’s backend has all the architecture and design fundamentals of enterprise-style storage; from client-controlled encryption to performance-optimization and robust data protection. All of these elements are usually seen as an after-thought in a consumer offering. Most importantly, Bitcasa is operating and scaling these features at an unprecedented rate. Essentially, it’s an enhanced file storage service operating at hyper-scale, combining the best of the file system and cloud storage worlds.
There are many aspects of Bitcasa that aren’t widespread knowledge and I intend to change that in the near future. A few of the things that got me excited:
- Its security, privacy and user control features make it a “zero knowledge” system (NSA proof – a necessary requirement these days).
- The scale of global de-duplication and storage optimization is at a level I’ve never seen before.
- The platform’s capabilities transcend the competition’s. Things like caching, encryption, streaming, transcoding and virtual drive technology set Bitcasa far apart from the crowd.
- Bitcasa has the newest, most modern architecture, yet is still mature given the fast adoption by our users.
- Customers have validated Bitcasa – it’s one of the top three pure-plays in the industry.
- With more than 40 PB of data it’s one of the most scaled and well-utilized storage services.
- Regularly accessed by millions of devices from mobile to web, desktop and TV.
- It’s proven reliable with more than five 9’s (99.999%) uptime since launch.
This kind of differentiation puts Bitcasa on a great path for the next chapter, one that enables developers to do more without worrying about building their own cloud storage layer. I believe that ultimately the winners in the personal storage space will offer storage as part of other anchoring services. Bitcasa is poised to enable that, making it possible for every developer and anchor to reduce risk and drive development and storage costs down tremendously. I’m eager to explore this new opportunity and bring these innovations to that market.
On top of letting me share in its impressive business achievements and potential, Bitcasa has brought me into its wonderful company culture. It’s a breath of fresh air—a young, vibrant atmosphere … with included Barista privileges downstairs (we sit on top of a cafe and a pub) – obviously I’m excited to be here (for good reasons). The Bitcasa product team has already been working actively along with support of a fairly involved developer community. I look forward to connecting with many of you and becoming part of the community, and I’m really excited to be part of these innovating new times at Bitcasa.
Register on our website (www.bitcasa.com/platform) if you would like more information on the Bitcasa Cloud Platform.