The Bitcasa Android App

We launched our Android App a few weeks ago, and have been thrilled with the adoption and positive feedback since launch. The Bitcasa Android App delivers a great experience for viewing and accessing all your content stored on Bitcasa while on the go. Get it here!

Instead of simply building a file viewer, we decided that the ability to actually play entire music albums or songs by a a given artist was important; same with viewing your photo albums and photos. We automatically group together your major media categories: music, photos, documents, and videos for easy viewing:

Homescreen

Music Album

Photo Album

Video landscape

Navigating to your “Folders” view allows you to view the contents of your Bitcasa Infinite Drive:

Folders

In addition, you can “Favorite” your most commonly accessed files to keep a copy local on your phone. This way, you can access your stuff when you’re away from a network, like on an airplane, and play your files with other media players:

Favorites

The app also lets you automatically upload pictures and videos straight to your Bitcasa account.

Connect Camera

We put in some protections for your data plan into the Settings menu (Only Upload / Download of WiFi) but these can be turned off if you would like to upload or download over cellular network.

So what’s next? Well, we’re just getting started. We’re listening to your feedback and are working on the following as you read this:

• Multi-file uploads through the “Share” menu
  • Uploading from within the app
  • Delete of files / folders
  • Improved video and music players to support more formats and file types
  • Continuing to improve and speed up the performance

Got other ideas? Leave them in the comments, or submit a feature request on our support site.

Not an Android user? iOS App is coming this month. We understand your frustrations, and are trying to release as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience.

15 thoughts on “The Bitcasa Android App

1. Sergio says:

Nice if you put the ability to push remote uploads like the Chrome Extension

2. Tibor Vass says:

I’ll download the app because I see you have good musical tastes :)

3. Basic download would be great, I have some files in *.cbz format and I cant view them from bitcasa, nor mark them as favorite, and have to go to the portal browsing with Chrome to download the files

4. Vik says:

I learned about Bitcasa a couple weeks ago and have installed in on my Linux home computer and my android phone. I have been searching for the perfect solution for online / cloud storage that will support all major platforms (Win / Mac / Linux / iOS / android) and think I may have found it with you guys. I’m running the Linux alpha client right now, waiting for the beta to drop for further testing. If all goes well, I will definitely sign up for the service – easy to justify the $10 / month.

5. Bert says:

1. Need the ability to rename, copy and move files from the android app(upload folder). You have a bunch of pics and videos in there and you don’t know what is what.

2. Video playback needs to be tweaked. Some videos play some don’t(this is coming from videos from my sg3)

3. Thumbnails previews in the upload folder.

Please…

6. Bert says:

3. Thumbnails previews in the upload folder.

Thanks

7. Matthew says:

I have some suggestions.
    When you’re watching a video on a device with software buttons they should hide like the YouTube app, on my Galaxy Nexus the video doesn’t fill the screen.
    It’d be nice if music controls showed up on the lock screen like the Google Music app.
    And the ability to zoom in on images.

8. Christian says:

Need the ability to download / email a file from the app. (I have Excel files that I don’t want to view on a crappy app on my smartphone. I’d like to email them to my work account and see them on the big screen.)

9. Bertrand says:

Not installable on my HTC Legend Android 2.1 :-/

10. lookitsch says:

A couple of requests:
    1) It’d be awesome if we could specify which sdcard to save the local files to. Other apps I’m using (Google Music, Spotify) are also not allowing me to save to my secondary sdcard which ends up been empty while the primary one is always almost full. Not sure if it’s a system restriction, but it’d be a really nice touch.
    2) Wen you add several albums as favorites, the favorites section lists them all together and mixes them, so if you have song 1 from album 1 then song 1 from album 2, yhen song 2 from album 1, etc. It’d be really nice if favorited/local albums were listed as albums, not individual tracks.

11. truerfiction says:

In relation to the same issue @arianjm spoke about, it would be great to be able to choose which program opens a file. I have cbr (similar to cbz) files and despite having an appropriate app, bitcasa doesn’t recognize the ability to open the file.

12. skatz says:

In the latest version, the Infinite Drive appears as empty (even though the files are there), Very annoying and I hope you fix this soon.

13. Paul Hart says:

The mobile apps really really really needs a pin code open option like sugarsync or zipcloud.
    If I lost my phone, anyone could simply gain access to all my files.

14. I don’t know if it’s just me or if everyone else experiencing problems with your website.
    It appears as though some of the written text on your posts are running off the screen.
    Can somebody else please provide feedback and let me
    know if this is happening to them too? This could be a issue
    with my internet browser because I’ve had this happen previously. Cheers